learned some new stuff about the case that I didn't even know

Jack the Ripper: A Life of Crime | The True Story of Jack the Ripper (Short Reads Historical Biographies of Famous People) - Alexander Kennedy

He was his era’s most wanted man, leaving behind him a string of mutilated victims that terrified the world. Yet despite a wealth of tantalizing evidence—eyewitnesses who saw him with his victims, his taunting letters to police, and forensic evidence gathered from the dead—he has never been conclusively unmasked.

Alexander Kennedy gives a compact, readable overview of the Ripper saga, examining the killings from every side. Here we experience the desperate race of police to stop the Ripper before he strikes again, and the role of newspapers in shaping the Ripper legend. We look at each of the so-called “canonical” murders, and also the possibility that the Ripper might have killed more women than generally realized. And then we chase down the many answers to the most burning question of all: Whodunit? Both novices and hardcore “Ripperologists” will appreciate Alexander Kennedy’s fresh, insightful take on history’s most iconic killer.

"One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the twentieth century" - Jack the Ripper

Buy Now to Discover:

The Ripper’s taunting correspondence with police—and the possibility that it was a hoax. The role of Queen Victoria in the Ripper investigation. How the Ripper murders led to the birth of “profiling.” The tragic histories of the Ripper’s victims. The evidence for and against each of the prime suspects in the murders. Famous men accused of the Ripper murders, including Lewis Carroll, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Prince Albert Victor. Modern day investigations into the killings by mystery author Patricia Cornwell and others.
What did I think of it:
5 stars
While I did know a little bit already about the Jack the Ripper case going into this book , there was some stuff I didn't know and was 100% new to me, with that said here is some of the new stuff that I learned:
1: one of the famous men accused to be Jack The Ripper was Lewis Carroll, author of Alice in Wonderland
2: Criminal profiling - only came about in the course of the search of Jack the Ripper by a Dr. Thomas Bond a police surgeon,
3: a hundred years later another profiler John E. Douglas examined the case though the lenses of the now commonly applied aspects as victimology , medical reports , and crime scene analysis before arriving at a detailed profile in his 1988 report and that it was not all that different from Dr. Bond's in some regards,
with that said to found out more you have to go and pick up the book yourself to read.