Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania - Erik Larson

From the bestselling author and master of narrative nonfiction comes the enthralling story of the sinking of the Lusitania

On May 1, 1915, with WWI entering its tenth month, a luxury ocean liner as richly appointed as an English country house sailed out of New York, bound for Liverpool, carrying a record number of children and infants. The passengers were surprisingly at ease, even though Germany had declared the seas around Britain to be a war zone. For months, German U-boats had brought terror to the North Atlantic. But the Lusitania was one of the era’s great transatlantic “Greyhounds”—the fastest liner then in service—and her captain, William Thomas Turner, placed tremendous faith in the gentlemanly strictures of warfare that for a century had kept civilian ships safe from attack.

Germany, however, was determined to change the rules of the game, and Walther Schwieger, the captain of Unterseeboot-20, was happy to oblige. Meanwhile, an ultra-secret British intelligence unit tracked Schwieger’s U-boat, but told no one. As U-20 and the Lusitania made their way toward Liverpool, an array of forces both grand and achingly small—hubris, a chance fog, a closely guarded secret, and more—all converged to produce one of the great disasters of history.

It is a story that many of us think we know but don’t, and Erik Larson tells it thrillingly, switching between hunter and hunted while painting a larger portrait of America at the height of the Progressive Era. Full of glamour and suspense, Dead Wake brings to life a cast of evocative characters, from famed Boston bookseller Charles Lauriat to pioneering female architect Theodate Pope to President Woodrow Wilson, a man lost to grief, dreading the widening war but also captivated by the prospect of new love.

Gripping and important, Dead Wake captures the sheer drama and emotional power of a disaster whose intimate details and true meaning have long been obscured by history

What I thought of it:

So much historical facts in it that I didn't even know about

It pulls on everything, your very soul, heart and emotions

Emotional ,dramatic, powerful, compelling

Mr.Larson has a way that once you start reading Dead Wake, you can't stop, it's like he brings it to life , that your actually there, you can see, hear ,feel what Lusitania's crew and passengers felt.

Essentially ,what's it's like to be on a sinking ship, and the weight of life lost.
want to say thinks to blogging for books , Penguin Random House and the author for giving me a chance at read this and review in exchange for sharing my honest
Update:
Its been a day since I finished Dead Wake and I'm still thinking about what I read, this is definitely a book that's going to be staying with me and in my thoughts for a long while.