New series , great start, if you like or love the The Mortal Instruments series then check this out

Fear University - Meg Collett

I’ve always known I was a monster, and I don’t mean some teenage vampire shit either.

My mother abandoned me when I was ten years old because I have a freakish mutant disease that makes me incapable of feeling pain. I bounced from one foster family to another because too many people like to test my medical condition in a game of “Try To Make Ollie Scream.” At sixteen, I killed a man for taking that game too far.

Two years later, I’m still on the run in Kodiak, Alaska. Here, I’m the most dangerous person around, until I come face to face with a creature that should only exist in folklore. The monster is an aswang, and I, with my medical anomaly, am uniquely qualified to hunt the beast that haunts the night. At least, that’s what the two scarred, mostly crazy ’swang hunters tell me when they kidnap me and take me to Fear University, a school where young students learn to hunt and kill aswangs.

I arrive at the university a prisoner, but I stay because I finally find my freedom.

For once in my life, I belong. I’m needed. I make a home for myself inside the university masquerading as an old Alaskan prison. Something close to happiness warms my icy heart when I’m with my scarred, still mostly crazy tutor, Luke Aultstriver. For a murdering runaway like me, Fear University is a haven where I can put my skills to good use hunting monsters in the night.

But when certain truths come to light and even more lies are exposed, I fear that I, Ollie Andrews, am the worst kind of monster of all. And, maybe, they should be hunting me.

Warning: This book is recommended for mature readers due to sexual content, violence, and language

What did I think of it:
5 stars
This book was a hole lot better than I thought it was going to be, it reached out and grabbed me and had me hooked, while it does have VIOLENCE, TORTURE, ABUSE in it, it also show you how strange someone can be to go though all of that and not give up, it also brings up the fact that the main character has a mutation of congenital analgesia and that because of that she can't ever feel pain, while there is a romance that's starting between 2 of the characters it doesn't take anything away from the story at all, plus the idea behind the story line was a nice break from the typical Urban Fantasy book, so if you like books like The Mortal Instruments series then you might want to check this series out, I will be getting book 2 and 3 when I can